- What about this situation that was problematic for this student?
- What was the basis of the other student’s challenge to this student?
- Why does he bring up skin color? Gender? Physical attractiveness?
- Both students come from Aboriginal heritages and experiences. What is the basis of the conflict here? Why does skin color matter?
- How is each person’s identity used to engage in discussions of Aboriginal material?
Questions for Further Discussion
- Consider the outcome of this situation for both students. As an instructor, if you had been in the classroom or a part of this discussion, how would you address this situation?
- What is the relevance of this situation to the class as a whole?
- Discuss techniques that you would engage the class as a whole in the issues that are raised here.
*Click here for a downloadable PDF version of this topic and supporting materials.